Summary Arguments Against Voting For George W. Bush
by Mitch Turner
A bit more explanation of these points is in a more detailed version
of this same article, available here. Get this
article as a PDF file here.
"If, to please the people, we offer what we ourselves disbelieve, how
can we afterwards defend our work? It is our task to raise a standard
to which the wise and honest may repair, recognizing that the event is
in the hands of God."
-- George Washington, 1787
Myths On Why We Must Vote For Bush
- Fear of Democrats: Not Biblical. God is sovereign. Bush has
done much worse things than Clinton because he has no opposition.
- A Godly candidate can't win: By this attitude we should not
have ever fought the War for Independence. God decides who our leaders
are, we must vote for Godly candidates.
- Fear of the judges John Kerry will appoint: See above on fear.
And if you really think Bush will appoint truly conservative judges,
you are willfully avoiding the evidence of history and Bush's positions.
See below on judges.
- There is no perfect candidate: An excuse for voting for the
lesser of two evils (which, of course, is still evil). We are not debating
perfect, or slightly less than perfect. We are debating evil, or not
Defense of Life
- Bush does not believe babies have a right to life. He supports abortion
in cases of rape and incest.
- Bush has presided over the death of more than 5 million babies. Well
over 30 million have been murdered since Reagan was elected. Yet abortion
is not even mentioned on Bush's campaign web site, rarely even given
- Bush has continued to send billions to Planned Parenthood, largest
provider of abortions in the US, as well as to the UN, which supports
abortion around the world.
Defense of the Acknowledgement of God
- AL Chief Justice Roy Moore was thrown out of office and the 10 Commandments
removed from the state courthouse, despite a GOP State Attorney General,
a GOP governor, a GOP Congress, a GOP US AG, and President Bush.
- The 7 GOP/2 Dem US Supreme Court refused to rule on whether the phrase
"Under God" is Constitutional.
- Bush has proclaimed that he worships the same god as the Muslims,
who, according to him, follow a religion of peace.
Oath of Office
- Bush sent forces to attack a sovereign nation without a Declaration
- Bush campaigned in 2000 against the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance
bill, because it was not Constitutional. In office, Bush signed it anyway.
- This year Bush has responded to people working around the campaign
finance law by calling for further restrictions on free speech.
- Unconstitutional programs: Worst of many (looking at the cost, half
a trillion and counting) -- forcing taxpayers to pay for Seniors' prescription
- Bush has passed record spending, record deficits, and added debt that
our descendents will be paying off for generations.
- Bush now approves over $60 billion annually for a known unconstitutional
intrusion into education, and he joined with Ted Kennedy to set national
standards for schools along with more spending than ever before.
- Bush supports the so-called Assault Weapons Ban, despite the clear
language of the 2nd Amendment.
- Bush's Patriot Act removes many of the protections of the Constitution
from law-abiding citizens.
Defense of the Nation
- Bush has continued and expanded the use of women on the front lines
of combat. The Bush Administration has proposed including women in Draft
- Bush has continued the illegal Clinton policy of allowing homosexuals
to continue to serve in the military.
- Easiest, fastest, best thing to protect us would be to secure the
borders. They remain like Swiss cheese, with thousands entering illegally
- Instead of securing our borders, Bush has proposed an amnesty for
millions of illegal aliens. Result: more illegals.
- The easiest, fastest, and best thing to do to secure airline travel
would be to arm the pilots. The Bush Administration has stalled even
the limited arming effort approved by Congress and instead harasses
people who obviously are not terrorists.
Defense of Marriage
Bush has given lip service to the issue, not doing anything that would
actually help in this fight. We've seen how he has fought for issues that
he really cares about, and his support for marriage (or Life) has looked
nothing like those.
Number one reason given as to why Bush is better than Kerry is that Bush
will appoint better judges. To believe this you must ignore history and
- Bush refuses to promise to nominate only pro-life judges.
- Bush actively supported the primary battle of PA Senator Arlen Specter,
one of the most liberal Senators of either GOP or Dems. Specter will
be the next Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and will stop
any conservative nomination before it gets to the floor. Bush knew this
and supported him anyway, instead of the traditional position of remaining
neutral during the primaries.
- Counting on the GOP to give us good judges is literally insane. All
of the worst decisions in the last 40 years were by a US Supreme Court
with a GOP majority. Roe v. Wade (73) -- Found right to abortion. Planned
Parenthood v. Casey (92) -- After 12 years of Reagan/Bush and 5 Supreme
Court nominations, this case cemented made-up right to abortion. Court
was 8 GOP and 1 pro-life Dem. Had Reagan/Bush even bothered to appoint
4 pro-life judges, Roe would have been overturned. Instead, 5 GOP judges
affirmed Roe (making it even harder to overturn) in a 5-4 decision.
Stenberg v. Carhart (2000): Court with 7 GOP and 2 Dems found Constitutional
right to kill partially delivered babies. Lawrence v. Texas (03) --
Same GOP Court found Constitutional right to practice sodomy. McConnell
v. FEC (03): Court decided that Congress can prohibit political speech.
Same 7 GOP judges on the Court.
Pragmatism has failed miserably. We are much worse off as a nation than
when conservatives elected Reagan in 1980. How many evil actions must
the GOP do before you abandon it?
Copyright ©1996-2008 Constitution Party of